Sunday, April 26, 2009


From my Social Work Dynamics of Oppression class I feel that I can promise that I will:


Never take a situation just for as is. I will always try and understand it from others points of view or from the point of view of someone of difference from me. Even something as routine as a traffic stop, I will question why, what, and who is involved. I also will not only do this on a personal level, but bring about awareness in subtle ways. I have younger brothers who I feel I have a great impact over. They need to be aware of inequalities, and advantages they have. I need to appreciate who I am, as an individual, regardless of what people may think or feel.

Most importantly I need to allow others to be themselves, to be individuals, and from their uniqueness embrace their beauties. I promise I will fix myself- my own racism, my own oppressive self- before I even attempt to change/fix anyone else.


Also from class I now know for sure:

I have things I need to become more aware of and things I need to work on. I am not perfect-no one is- especially when it comes to situations dealing with race, class, gender etc. I am who I am and i can only improve on myself if I wish. I will try with all my heart to understand where people are coming from, to listen before i judge, and learn from those around me. I only want to gain and grow from this world that surrounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment