Friday, March 20, 2009

Talk. Speak. Communicate


I read an article by Frantz Fanon titled "Black Skin, White Masks". Fanon capitalizes on the use of "race" or "color" through language. He begins by explaining the importance of language and how it is a crucial aspect of culture. One can be labeled and distinguished ("culture can be assumed") from another simply by how they speak, or what language they refer to. I am an English speaking female who was brought up only speaking this one language. Form that simple understanding one can determine whether they will communicate with me or not. Another aspect of language Fanon dissects is how one interacts with different "categories" of people. Fanon explains, "a Negro behaves differently with a white man and with another Negro."
When I read that quote several incidents with my boyfriend popped into my head. Many times he has told me when I meet his family not to speak like a "preppy white girl", or he has told me when he meets my father he wont wear what he normally wears or speak like he does to his friends. Before reading this article i just took it for exactly what he was saying. I did not try and analyze what was truly being set forth. Again, in these situations the color of our skin mattered. It matter to him if his aunt thought I was a preppy white girl, but not onlt that but a white one. He cared what my father thought about the way he spoke. I am white and he is black. This fact will never change or ever be looked over.
Fanon says "to speak a language is to take on a world, a culture". The way one speaks is revolved around the way in which they were raised. Ones culture is vividly expressed through language and should not be manipulated to be seen as a "better" cultural way of identification. Fanon then goes on to say that the Negro desires to speak French "because it is the key that can open doors which were still carred to him fifty years ago". I believe this idea of "black talk" and "white talk" still resides in this world. This notion that once can either speak black or white determines whether the way one speaks is superior or inferior. Fanon incorporated a quote that reads, "what matters is not to know the world but to change it", rather then destroying culture in which we are not familiar witth we shall embrace it. I wish is was as easy as saying "do not change to become whiter!". I say this in reference to the oppression one feels when their speach is corrected. When a black, hispanic, japanese etc is corrected to speak "white".
Who is to say the way I speak is more proper than how my black friend Monique speaks? Who determines that the third grade spanish boy in my classroom is wrong for saying "I already been did that"? I say talk, speak, communicate!

No comments:

Post a Comment