Monday, March 16, 2009

Racial Contract


The Racial Contract is seen as a "formal or informal" agreement between members of society. This contract consist of racial groups being categorized allowing for superiors to exist. The prominent component of this contract is the privilege granted to whites opposed to those who are non-white. Many question if such a thing truly exists. This may not be written and signed in actuality, but it definitely exists. This privilege that is given to whites is something many deny. Whites allow themselves to believe our society, our world, has grown from the days that used to promote white power. They create a blindness to what is happening all around us.
I sat in the passenger seat of a car. Accompanied by 4 black males. As I drove down the rode the color of our skin was not apparent. The only color I noticed was the blue from the flashing lights in the rear view mirror. Silently we waited for the officer to come to the window and routinely ask for license and registration. As he approached the car 2 other cruisers arrived on scene. Three officers now surrounded the car and asked for the three gentlemen in the backseat to present a form of identification. I was not asked. I was not looked at. I was not acknowledged. I ignorantly asked "did they not ask for my I.D. because I am a girl?" The boys replied altogether "No, it's because you are white!" I had nothing to say. I was embarrassed.
As I read an article by Mills a quote reminded me of this story "...whites will in general be unable to understand the world they themselves have made". This quote rang true to me as i sat in a car baffled at a situation. The four black males who experienced this with me were unaffected by the actions due to the anticipation it was going to occur. My perplexed anger brought race to "center stage". By my denial of oppression transpiring around me I sadly proved Mills' point of "accidental, residual'" explanation for the race issue we whites attempt to "remove from our understanding." I did not chose to be white nor did my boyfriend chose to be black, but with the "whiteness" I obtain i am, still to this day, on a "higher rung on the moral ladder." ( I am referring to Charles W. Mills "The Racial Contract").
I raise the question: Will this world ever change?

No comments:

Post a Comment